Friday, April 24, 2009

Unlikely Beauty

Springtime in South Texas where I grew up is just glorious!  Texas wildflowers are an amazing sight to see along the roadsides, in fields, and stretching forever across prairie land.  You'll see Texas Primrose, Indian Blankets, Indian Paintbrush and of course, the famous Bluebonnet, among many others.  The citrus trees are blooming, too, along with gardenia and jasmine - absolutely filling the air with perfume.  But one flower you may not expect to see is the sunshine yellow bloom of the cactus.  It's always a surprise and delight to see them, because you just don't expect a cactus to be beautiful!  Even if you've grown up with them.  I am thankful for my Father's sweet reminder that beauty comes even from prickly, painful places.

So, I was surprised and delighted once more to see these cactus blooms in an email my brother sent this morning.  He found this beauty near Gregory, just northeast of Corpus Christi.  I hope you enjoy their beauty, too.

No comments: