Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday, America!

Today we celebrate the 234th birthday of our country and the signing of the document that declared our national independence from the tyranny of a king. While the war that followed is frequently called "The American Revolution", it was actually the rule of the English king, King George, that departed from justice and from the covenants established between the Crown and the Colonies, thus forcing the colonies to declare their independence in order to retain those principles upon which they were founded.

I saw a poll on TV this morning that noted that only 65% of American citizens knew from which nation we declared our independence. The remaining 35% had no idea and guessed it was from nations such as China or Brazil. China or Brazil? Crazy.

In order to know where we are and how we are to proceed ahead, we MUST know from whence we've come. As you celebrate the 4th of July, or on any day for that matter, take a few minutes to refresh your memory on the principles upon which we based and declared our independence. If you've NEVER read the Declaration, you may wonder how it is that we have drifted so far, and hopefully will understand that if we are to maintain our freedoms we must return to these principles.


Rockport Conservative said...

I saw a discussion on TV, Glenn Beck's Friday Founder's program I think, in which it was described as the first "Civil War" an apt description as it did divide families. We don't think of the Royalists. There was a lot more going on that we usually think of.

tnmartin said...

If the same issue were before us today, on which side would the ''chattering classes", the New York/eastern seaboard/Left Coast/beltway insiders be?
I think the nation has degenerated further than we might think.