Sunday, October 18, 2009

Thinking on Beau

The power of the imagination is very real. When scripture admonishes us in Romans 12:2 to renew our minds, it's teaching us to discern what is good and acceptable, helping us not to be conformed to this world which is full of sorrow and death.

When we had Beau with us here on earth for those short eight days, I concentrated completely on memorizing every little feature, wrinkle, and movement because I knew it was all I would know of him in this world. I photographed him continually, hoping to capture all those things. Along with his Mommy and Daddy and a few others, I was with him when he died and observed him in his death. And then when he was buried, a great part of my heart and mind were buried, also.

Later in the spring, as I undertook counseling sessions, it became apparent to me that I was still enmeshed in Beau's death and burial, and had not lifted the eyes of my heart to see the truth - that Beau was alive and with the Father! In order to begin the transformation of my mind, my counselor advised me to look for things - a picture perhaps - that would help me to focus on what was real and true, and so I did.

In 1 Samuel 2, Hannah gives her little boy, Samuel, to God; to serve Him in His own house. Verse 21 tells us, "... And the young man Samuel grew in the presence of the Lord." That was it! Now, I don't know if babies actually grow up in heaven, or if they stay babies, or become adults; but this was the comfort I was looking for, and the eye of my mind could imagine this image clearly - Beau was growing up in the presence of the Lord, at the feet of Jesus! And what better place to grow up? No sin, no sorrow; just joy and goodness. Colossians 3: 1-4 tells us to set our minds on things above, not on things of the earth. It is there, not here, that we will find what we are looking for. So now my heart and mind can begin to learn contentment in truth - Beau is not here, he is with the Lord who loves him perfectly.

1 comment: