Thursday, November 13, 2008

Through Another Year

All-sufficient King,
When I come into thy presence I see
   the glory of thy perfections,
   the throne of eternal and universal empire
   the ten thousand times ten thousand
      who minister to thee.
Impress my mind with the consciousness 
   of thy greatness,
   not to drive me from thee
   but to inspire me to approach thee;
   not to diminish my confidence in thee,
   but to lead me to admire thy great
      condescension.
   
Thou hast been mindful of me and visited me,
   taken charge of me from birth,
   cared in all conditions for me,
   fed me at thy table,
   drawn the curtains of love around me,
   given me new mercies every morning.
Suffer me not to forget that I look for yet
   greater blessings -
   a hope beyond the grave,
   the earnest and foretastes of immortality,
   holiness, wisdom, strength, peace, joy;
   all these thou hast provided for me in Christ.
I grieve to think how insensible I have been
   of the claims of thy authority,
   and the endearments of thy love;
   how little I have credited thy truth,
      trusted thy promises,
      feared thy threats,
      obeyed thy commands,
      improved my advantages,
      welcomed thy warnings,
      responded to thy grace;
   but notwithstanding my desert I yet live.
May thy goodness always lead me to repentance,
   and thy longsuffering prove my salvation.

~ Valley of Vision, Caring Love