Thursday, January 31, 2008

Seas of our Souls

"And it shall be said,
"Build up, build up, prepare the way, 
remove every obstruction from my people's way."
For thus says the One who is high and lifted up,
who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy.
I dwell in the high and holy place,
and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly, 
and to revive the heart of the contrite.
For I will not contend forever,
nor will I always be angry;
for the spirit would grow faint before me,
and the breath of life that I made.
Because of the iniquity of his unjust gain I was angry,
I struck him; I hid my face and was angry,
but he went on backsliding in the way of his own heart.
I have seen his ways, "But I will heal him;
I will lead him and restore comfort to him and his mourners,
creating the fruit of the lips.
Peace, peace, to the far and to the near," says the Lord,
"and I will heal him.
But the wicked are like the tossing sea;
for it cannot be quiet, 
and its waters toss up mire and dirt.
There is no peace," says my God, "for the wicked." 
~ Is. 57:14-21


As it is said elsewhere, "If it had not been the Lord who was on our side, surely the raging waters would have swept over our souls."  Because of the great mercy and lovingkindness of the Lord we are not swept away in our sin.  He who is mighty, He who is Holy could destroy us for our consistent backsliding, but instead He says, "I will heal, I will lead, I will restore, I will comfort, I will heal."  Not only that, but causing our very lips, the lips so prone to sinfulness, to become fruitful, and to give us peace.  
Why is it that He grants mercy to us sinful children of men?  Because he notes a contrite heart, and a lowly, humble spirit.  "A contrite heart He will not despise."  But, "He opposes the proud."  
So, there is peace for the one with a contrite, lowly spirit.
But, what about those who just won't let it die?  Won't forgive?  Won't forget?  Want to see the ugly details hashed out again and again?  They are like the tossing sea, constantly stirring up dirt and mire.  And for them there is no peace.

No comments: